theproles

K.

All knowledge is worth having.

The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11)
Patricia Cornwell
Progress: 295/422 pages
Endgame
Kristine Smith
Progress: 130/400 pages
Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him - Luis Carlos Montalván, Bret Witter I really enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Tuesday's personality really shines through (and this is before I saw all the pictures at the end!), due partially to the author's overwhelming adoration for him.

Captain Montalván tries to educate the reader in multiple places how PTSD affected him (and has affected thousands of others in similar fashions), expressly removing it from a media interpretation of an episode (thinking that you are truly in enemy territory, friend becomes foe, etc.). I believe this distinction is very important to society's overall acceptance of the disorder as a real and disastrous side-effect of war.

On a lighter note, I loved his description of Tuesday's feelings on cats: "He wasn’t afraid of them, but he didn’t trust them. He thought they were crazy, and their lack of logical actions and intentions, at least from his point of view, completely freaked him out." I'm a cat person, but Tuesday's not wrong!